It’s good to see that the medical community is saying good things about exfoliating….
While almost everyone gives special attention to taking good care of their heart, brain or digestive track, whole body skin health is often overlooked beyond sunscreen and facial beauty care. The fact is that your skin is more than skin deep, but it doesn’t seem that way since we scratch it, scrape it, or burn it, then put a bandage and little ointment on it, and assume all is well, because, after all, it’s only skin.
In reality the skin is the largest organ of the human body. It is also the body’s final outlet for detoxification. And, let’s face it, the less polluted we are, the healthier we’ll feel and the longer we can expect to live. (That’s why we decided to provide a high quality silk blend mitt, created based on an ancient Turkish tradition, available for easy at home exfoliation. Click here to learn more.)
Skin exfoliating is an important part of the detoxification process for the following five reasons:
1) Exfoliating removes dead skin cells. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, dead skin cells compose an astounding top 18 to 23 layers of our skin! While our skin sheds these dead cells gradually over time, specialists agree that removing these cells through an exfoliation routine can speed up the skin renewal process. (Who doesn’t want faster skin renewal?)
2) Skin exfoliating unclogs pores. Our pores are like the screen door of our skin. A screen door lets fresh air in and stale air out. If the screen is clogged with dirt, however, it just won’t function properly. Similarly, our pores allow our skin to absorb nutrients. They also help banish toxins from our body through sweating. If your pores are clogged with dirt and toxins, they can’t do their job properly. Exfoliating skin helps unclog pores and, as an added bonus, helps lead to the appearance of smaller pores.
3) Exfoliation aids in absorption of topical skin treatments. In an article posted by the American Academy of Dermatology, Dr. Mary P. Lupo (MD, FAAD, and clinical professor of dermatology at the Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans) explains that exfoliation allows topical skin treatments (including natural lotions and essential oils) to penetrate deeper into the skin once the top, dead layer of skin is removed. She also says that exfoliation can increase collagen production, which leaves the skin looking brighter and suppler. (That sounded pretty good to the women at joyaplenty!)
4) Exfoliating increases circulation. Not only does exfoliating help remove toxins from the surface of the skin, it also improves lymph and blood circulation, according to Dr. Beverly Yates, ND, a California licensed doctor of Naturopathic Medicine. In an article titled “Detox Done Right,” by Courtney Helgoe, Yates recommends brushing your skin from the outward extremities toward the heart, which aids in moving lymph fluids (excess fluids and plasma proteins from our tissues) in the proper direction and supports heart valve function.
5) Exfoliation helps prevent certain skin cancers. While exfoliating alone cannot prevent the most dangerous form of skin cancer—malignant melanoma—it may reduce the presence of actinic keratosis—a type of skin lesion that can develop into squamous cell cancer. In an article from The Sun & Skin News, a publication of The Skin Care Foundation, dermatologist Debora Jaliman, MD explains that sun damage can produce abnormal cells on the skin that could develop into pre-cancers or cancers. “Exfoliating may eliminate these cells,” she says.
Are you already exfoliating? If not, it’s time to begin. Devote just a few minutes weekly to a whole body exfoliation routine, and you’ll begin feeling and seeing the results immediately. There is no reason to leave your health to chance when you can easily enhance your well-being with something as simple and pleasant as clean pores. Exfoliate away those dry, dead skin cells and say hello to a more vibrant, healthier and more youthful-looking you!
To get the Joyaplenty NourishMitt with our Cocoon Silk Facial Exfoliating Mitt as a free bonus, click here now …Hurry, supplies limited.